Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Simple Things


I have a lot of time to think in the mornings when I'm the only person awake at our house. So, in the shower and/or sitting in front of the make-up mirror, I can normally be found "pondering". This morning, for some reason, my mind was on the simple things in life. I'm not a person who needs material things to be happy -- oh, yeah -- it's wonderful to have luxuries such as a home, a car, a job, etc. But, it occurred to me this morning that it's the smallest things I am the most guilty of taking for granted.

For instance, sometimes I don't really like the vision that is staring back at me in that make-up mirror, but then I think, "You know what? Like it or not, it's the face God gave you and you need to be thankful for eyes that have the option of seeing that face. Many people would love to know what it feels like to be able to see!"

Then, there are days when I get up to walk down the hall and my knees ache, pop and crack so much so that I worry sometimes if they're going to carry me one step further! And, I think,"You should be very grateful you have the ability to walk -- many people are not that fortunate!"

And, every time I turned over in the bed last night I woke up because of the smell of homemade apple butter cooking in the crockpot in my kitchen. One time I thought to myself, "Man, I sure wish I had waited to do that during that day so the smell wouldn't keep waking me up and starving me to death!" And, then I thought, "You ingrateful horse's patoot -- why can't you just be glad you have a nose that works instead of fussing about it keeping you awake?"

So, when the coyotes decided to make a pass through the woods next to my house this morning, screaming at the top of their lungs and scaring me to death, I thought "Those are God's creatures and, even though you don't know what it is, He DID have a reason for creating them. Besides that, you should be thrilled you have good ears that can hear them scream!" Just think about all those people who hear nothing -- all day long -- day in and day out.

Yep -- senses are such simple things but -- WOW -- what an impact they make on our lives on a daily basis! Yet we go about seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, feeling, etc., rarely taking the time to appreciate the ability to do all that.

Thank you, God, for reminding me to be grateful for THE SIMPLE THINGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment