Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Reminiscing


Even though I have lived in North Carolina for 10 years longer than I lived in South Carolina, my entire family is still in South Carolina and there are many times I find myself missing them so very much. Today, for whatever reason, I've had my brother on my mind. So, I dusted off an old poem I wrote as a present for him for Christmas 2005. I hope those who read it will enjoy it, and I hope it causes you to have fond memories as you think about your "growing up" years. By the way, that's my "Bubba" in the picture on this post.


My Thanks for Our Family

From the same womb we both entered this world;
Two years apart -- you a boy, me a girl.
You were the first one to make your debut,
With sandy brown hair and eyes azure blue.
Born to a couple with hearts full of love,
They both knew this miracle came from above.

Such joy you brought to your parents each day.
“Watch over our baby”, to God they did pray.
“Please bless him and keep him in Your loving arms,
And, Heavenly Father, protect him from harm.”
Day after day you developed and grew,
Then all of a sudden, guess what? There were two!

I came along with my eyes also blue,
I’m sure people thought that I looked just like you.
Were you proud of your sister, my Bubba, so dear?
Or, did my presence cause you a measure of fear?
Were you eager to hold me and kiss my bald head?
Or, did this “competition” make you angry instead?

Our parents loved us so much, you and me.
But, I think we convinced them they didn’t need three!
We sure had our moments, some good and some bad.
Looking back, though, I know those were the best years we had.
We didn’t have money or treasures galore,
But with all of that love, we just didn’t need more.

They raised us the best that they could, Mom and Dad.
We didn’t own much, but each other we had.
They took us to church and taught us of God,
And firmly believed in not “sparing the rod”!
They worked very hard so that our needs were met.
No better parents could two children get.

We weren’t perfect children, oh no, not at all!
There were plenty of times we would stumble and fall.
I guess we’re the reason their hair turned to gray,
And the reason they prayed so much day after day.
I often wondered, “Are we causing them pain?”
“And do they ever wish it was just them again?

Yet, no matter what trials we both put them through,
They were always still willing to say, “I love you.”
They watched us with love in that “growing up” time,
As you became your own person and I became mine.
We didn’t always make choices that they’d like us to,
But they stood right there with us, their love saw us through.

We’re fortunate people, God has blessed us so much!
With His sweet gentle Spirit and His soft loving touch.
What more could we ask? We have blessings untold,
With fond memories to comfort us when we are old.
As the years come and go, I’m more thankful each day
That God chose to shine on our lives in this way!

Written by: Dawne Jennings Coward
December 16, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment