Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Doors Are Our Friend


I must admit that I've never really given much consideration to the importance of doors. I mean, let's face it, they're only a piece of wood or metal with a couple of hinges, a knob and maybe a glass insert, right? Yeah -- they serve their purpose; for example, they keep out the cold wind; they allow us to go to the outside world and view God's majesty; and they allow us to walk back into our homes where we feel safe and secure.

Well, this morning at 3:00, I acquired a new appreciation for doors, because it was our back door that separated us from a 5-1/2 to 6-ft., 250-275 lb. black bear! We were lying there in our beds snoozing peacefully, and all of a sudden I heard a loud noise. I woke up hubby and told him I thought our visitor from yesterday had returned. So, we got up, tip-toed down the hallway to the back door and I reached over and flipped on the light. OH MY GOODNESS!! What a massive creature we saw. It's head and rear-end were humongous. It had its head down in the dog food bowl munching away. Did my turning on the light phase it? Nope -- not one little iota! Finally, it turned and we thought it was going to go down the steps -- NOT! As it was facing the door, all of a sudden it went from its all-fours to the standing position and just glared at us through the door. We were totally and completely awestruck! After staring at us for what seemed an eternity, it turned on its haunches and put its front two paws on the gas grill, and that's when we got worried it would start ripping the grill cover and destroying the grill. So, hubby kicked the inside of the door really hard with his foot and the bear finally bounded off down the steps and left.

We returned to bed, the hair standing straight up on our arms and neck and our knees as weak as dishwater. It was at that moment I realized how thankful I am for doors -- doors that separate us from impending danger! Yep -- doors are our friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment