Monday, August 17, 2009

Blessings and Bears


What a wonderful weekend! Busy, busy, busy -- but wonderful. We have been remodeling our kitchen for three weeks now and, thanks to our electrician son, were finally able to get the new microwave and dishwasher in working order, the outlet moved for the stove, and a new light installed in the dining room. So, then began the process of re-stocking the new kitchen cabinets and drawers and finally -- I cooked my first meal in the new kitchen on Sunday -- hooray!! I'm so very blessed to have 1) an AWESOME God 2) a WONDERFUL family and 3) a brand new kitchen! And to make life even better, on Sunday morning one of the little guys in my Sunday School class gave me a great big hug and kiss and said, "Ms. Dawne, I WUV YOU!" Folks, it just doesn't get much better than that! Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me!

On Friday I put a post on my profile page on Facebook that said, "Count your many blessings, name them one by one!" And, now I'm just wondering, do I have to count that bear that invaded my property this morning as a blessing? There I sat, all alone at the make-up mirror in my bathroom, the only soul in my house awake, when all of a sudden I heard this horrible noise. I jumped up and ran to the back deck just in time to see the shadow of a bear going up into the woods. It was barely daylight, so I couldn't tell exactly how big this furry critter was, but I know he or she must have been quite large -- judging from the looks of the 30-gallon trash can that we use for spare dog food storage. Old Smoky gave that can a great big old bear hug, squished it flat, popped the top off, and ate every bite of dog food inside! In addition, we have one of those tall plastic self-feeding containers for the dog and it was ripped to shreds, void of one morsel of food! I'm just very grateful that it didn't rip the cover off the gas grill and tear it up trying to get to the little drip pan underneath. I hope he or she doesn't realize they forgot about the grill and decides to "visit" again tonight! I foolishly didn't realize when I got married, left the flat lands of South Carolina, and moved to the mountains of western North Carolina, that I was signing up to contend with bears. But, it is what it is, and they have their place on this earth just like everyone and everything else. So, I suppose we will co-exist as best we can. One thing is certain -- I'm gonna give a bear ALL THE ROOM IT WANTS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment