Friday, September 18, 2009

I Feel Like a Kid Again!




Today is the day -- YIPPEE! WOOHOO!! I'm sooooo excited! Yep -- it's raining, but not hard, and even if it keeps raining at this pace for the rest of the day -- it's gonna be a good day at the Mountain State Fair in Asheville, NC! I have rain gear, so I'm not worried. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I've been to the fair?

Some of the happiest memories from my childhood were the times my mamma and daddy took us to the Anderson County Fair (Anderson, SC). Mamma and Daddy didn't have much in the way of money, so we tended to make our own fun most of the time -- for free! But, Daddy always saw to it that we got to go to the fair every year because, quite frankly, he was as big a kid as we were and loved it just as much. I was the dare-devil of us two kids -- my brother tended to analyze things a bit much, so he deduced that a lot of the rides weren't safe enough to get on -- and, he didn't. Mamma pretty much shared my brother's opinion, so they always found something else to do while Daddy and I rode. There wasn't a ride at the fair that we didn't get on, and I remember with much happiness the way my daddy screamed, yelled and laughed along with me on each and every ride. Imagine my surprise when I had children of my own and Daddy confessed that he really didn't liked those rides as much as I thought he did -- he only rode them because he knew I loved them so much and he didn't want me to get on them by myself. Now, people -- THAT'S LOVE!!!

Once we had visited the livestock area, the arcade area, etc. we were always allowed on the way out of the gate to stop and get either a candy apple or cotton candy -- YUMMY! That was always a hard decision for me since I loved both, but I generally ended up with a candy apple because I so love that red stuff they dip those apples in!

When I visit the fair tonight, chances are I won't get on a single ride because in my older years I have become quite the sissy when it comes to rides. But, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll take in all the rest the fair has to offer. And on my way out of the gate, they better have just one red candy apple left for this kid at heart!!

No comments:

Post a Comment