Friday, September 11, 2009

Always Remember


On that horrific day -- September 11, 2001 -- I was sitting in a room waiting for roll call for jury duty. We soon learned that our case was settled out of court, so all potential jurors were dismissed to go home. I had forgotten my cell phone, so I called home from a pay phone in the hallway to tell my husband, who was staying with our sick son. That's when he told me he was watching the news and had just watched the second plane fly into the Twin Towers.

We all know what happened from that point forward. I remember going through such a range of emotions, i.e. shock, unbelievable sadness, and fury -- all within a matter of minutes. As I got into my car, I began praying out loud, "Oh, dear God in Heaven, please help us -- there is no way we can get through this without You!"

It's so hard to believe that 8 years have passed since that awful, tragic day, and even though it hasn't been constantly on my mind, I have thought about September 11, 2001, many, many times during that 8-year period. So very many lives lost; so many innocent people taken away from their families in such a short time span.

Those of us who are left here to mourn the carnage of that day should make a special effort to pause each and every September 11th to remember the thousands upon thousands of those victims' family members whose lives have been forever changed. May we always remember that day with remorse, and may the United States of America always be the land of the free, the home of the brave and one nation under God!

No comments:

Post a Comment