Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Feeling Old

Where on earth did the years go? Just yesterday I was a carefree little girl with all my dolls and stuffed animals lined up in a row in my bedroom playing school. In my little mind, I was a great teacher and I had some of the best students in the world. They listened and paid attention, never talking out of turn and never being loud and rowdy.

Just look at me nearly 49 years later! I just celebrated my 29th wedding anniversary the 6th of this month; today I will receive an award for 20 years of service as an employee of the State of North Carolina; on Saturday I will drive to South Carolina to celebrate my 30th high school class reunion; and I have one son who will soon turn 24 and another son who will turn 27 two weeks later. Unbelievable!

We spend the early years of our lives wishing to be older. I remember being very excited about turning 5-years-old and, from there, I could not wait to turn 10, then 16, and then 18. But, once I hit the ripe old age of 20 -- zoom -- the clock of time went into warp speed!

Yep -- I'm feeling just a tad old right now. So many things (good and bad) have happened in my life over the last 48-3/4 years that I couldn't even begin to write it all down in one post. But, you know what? I'm forever grateful that a loving God has allowed me to live each and every year. I only hope I can spend whatever time I have left on this earth working harder for Him than ever before. God is good -- all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment